Spring break this year will probably be one of the least eventful ones I’ve had but I nonetheless a much needed “break” from school. It started off awesome with Peter’s birthday celebrations and hiking that included crossing at least 5 streams. The past couple of days, I might be coming home tired after staring at a computer screen all day but it’s still good. Note to self: bring band-aids whenever working with a load of papers. My spring break started off with me wondering how I would last being at home for an entire week after something that happened but now, besides the food, family has been good. What makes it all the more interesting is probably my cutie pie dog. Here are some things I have noticed changing since Lexi has entered our lives a little more than a month ago:
1) Somehow she makes me wake up ten times earlier than I ever would on any day. That doesn’t happen often. I don’t even wake up that much earlier for Peter!
2) Somehow she makes my dad sound like a crazy man talking to himself when she’s with him. It’s as if he was having an entire conversation with her by speaking for her too. It’s interesting to hear the things he says. Then again, she makes the entire family stop what they’re doing and give her a belly rub without even asking us to. And sometimes the entire family ends up going out together with her just to watch her do her bathroom business.
3) She doesn’t appreciate much fruits and vegetables. However, she LOVES bread and I mean any kind of bread, even the ends of loaves that my family never eats. When she doesn’t like a fruit, she’ll rub her face into it…. Odd.
4) She hates water. During our hike we had to cross streams and she puts one foot in and runs away. When we crossed, she didn’t swim when there were no rocks under her. She just scrambled for the next rock in sight. At one point, she got to walk on the log-bridge while I waded into butt-high water, just so that we could get across the stream.
5) She does a lot of things halfway. Tried teaching her rollover, she does half of one. When we play fetch, she does half the job- runs to get the ball then usually runs back with it to me but then runs away again. She plays dead half way too- everything else but the tail is still. It’s usually still wagging because of the treat dangling in front of her.
Anyway, there’s a ton more I can say about Lexi/Lexicon/Lex/Cutie Pie/Pretty baby/whatever we feel like calling her at that moment. All I can really say though is that I never thought I’d have a dog right now but she’s definitely been God’s blessing to our family. Amazing how she, without doing it purposely, can bring my family closer together.